Summary Minutes of Council Meetings

This page carries a summary of the last three month's minutes

The following is a summary of the main points discussed at the Council meeting on 1st August.

Items for decision

Business in Progress (Report 4)

a)    ESCC require £3000 to begin design of Friston kerb buildout. Cllrs. asked for more info. before approving.

b)    Concerns raised about tourists in Birling Gap Road due to lack of buses.

c)    Two offers to build replacement for damaged squeeze gate received.

d)    Frequency of Cricket outfield mowing & footpath strimming to be checked.

e)    Manager of The Tiger has confirmed that picnic tables on Village Green are for general use & not reserved.

Admin. Assistant

Following interviews, Cllrs. approved the appointment of Ms Nicola Osborne.

Annual Village Meeting: Follow up

Due to muted support at the AVM for an NHS pop-up clinic, Cllrs. decided not to pursue. Local GP surgery can offer this.

Quarterly Finance Report (Q1)

Overall budget underspent by £2000. Future capital projects list to be revised.

Replacement PC noticeboards

Following the improvements to Downlands Way shops, it was agreed to replace the PC noticeboards with new metal framed ones.

Events programme 2019/20

a)    Cricket Club are holding a fund raising event on 28th Sept. featuring players from Sussex CCC. Cllrs. raised concerns about evening event. To be discussed with club representatives.

b)    PC will support Remembrance Sunday now that local British Legion Branch has been wound up.

c)    Possibility for fireworks at Christmas lights event to be pursued.

d)    Possibility of VE Day event next May to be considered at Oct. meeting.

Dutch Elm Disease

ESCC have now withdrawn subsidy for felling diseased trees completely. PC will compensate by increasing subsidy from 25% to 50%. Householders affected should contact Tree Warden in the first place.

Councillor Reports

a)     County Councillor

Test work at Exceat Bridge to be complete before Airbourne. No truth in rumours of boreholes at Birling Gap.

b)    District Councillor

Wealden Council now committed to reducing carbon emmissions. Problems with Planning enforcement raised with SDNPA. Community Infrastructure Levy fund has over £1 million which should be spent.

c)     Chair of Council

Cycle race on 28th July had caused great disruption. PC unable to influence race as allowed by Home Office licence.

d)    Bank Account  – the end of month balance was £67,797.14.

e)     Fund Raising

Decision on CIL funding for moving the cricket square should be known by Sept.

f)      Rights of Way

Footpaths to be surveyed for bark chip spreading this winter.

g)     Recreation Ground

Remedial work carried out to play area equipment. Maintenance contract to be considered for the future.

Next Meetings 

Parish Council meeting; 3rd October

(No Council meeting in September)

Planning Committee: 17th September

 

 

The following is a summary of the main points discussed at the Council meeting on 4th July.

Items for decision

Business in Progress (Report 4)

a)     Replies awaited from ESCC re. warning signs on Birling Gap Road blind bend and moving Downsview Lane bus stop.

b)    Offers received to contribute to replacing vandalised squeeze gate.

c)     Entrance to Recreation Ground has now been re-levelled by housing developer.

d)    Redundant and damaged litter bin at Friston Pond to be removed.

e)     Council grants for 2019 have now been paid to applicants.

Digital land mapping The following is a summary of the main points discussed at the Council meeting on 4th July

f)      to be referred to Neghbourhood Plan Steering Group.

g)    Fallen tree on Greensward to be referred to Residents’ Association.

Standing Orders

Modification to allow appointed lay advisors to participate in closed sessions approved.

Accessibility Regulations for Website

Accessibility statement for PC website to be prepared by Cllr. D’Urso before Sept. 2020.

Decommissioning East Dean Phone Box

PC to object to this on safety grounds due to poor mobile phone coverage. Should appeal fail, PC may consider adopting box.

Councillor Reports

a)   County Councillor

Cllr. Shing reported proposed transfer of Seven Sisters Park from ESCC to SDNPA to which he was opposed.

Cllrs. raised the traffic problems caused by traffic lights at Exceat Bridge to which he had not been informed.

b)   District Councillor

Cllr. Lunn reported problems with residents being unable to pay the new garden waste fee. He was also pursuing the possibility of lights in the village car park. He has been appointed Wealden’s rep on both the SDNPA and the Cuckmere Water Management Board. He was raising the PC’s concerns on non-enforcement of planning conditions and continuing to press MP on Post Office closure.

c)    “East Dean in Bloom”

Cllrs. and volunteers have cleaned up Downlands Way shopping area and installed flower tubs. This work jointly funded by the shops, the RA and the PC.

New notice boards and signage to be considered around the village.

d)   Planning Committee

FOI request sent to SDNPA regarding enforcement resources. Vanessa Rowlands from Cuckmere Valley PC elected as local rep to SDNPA. She will be coming to next Planning Committee.

e)    Neighbourhood Plan

Consultations in the community and presentations to local groups had begun.

f)     Bank Account

The end of month balance was £70,418.73.

g)   Rights of Way

Some strimming has been done in Downsview Lane but not hedge cutting. PC to organize. Other footpaths with long grass to be followed up.

h)   Recreation Ground

ROSPA report has raised some safety concerns with play equipment. Most serious to be taped off pending repairs. Further quote for fencing to be obtained.

Next Meetings 

Parish Council meeting; 1st August

Planning Committee: 20th August

 

 

The following is a summary of the main points discussed at the Council meeting on 6th June.

Public Session

Resident complained about Estate Agents’ adverts promoting unrealistic house extension possibilities. Cllrs. agreed to send copies of the VDS to agents.

Items for decision

Co-option of Councillors

Councillors approved the co-option of Mrs Joyce Walker. She joins Ms Beatrice Wheatley, who was co-opted at the May meeting.

Business in Progress (Report 4)

a)     Cllrs have queried final cost of the Friston kerb build out after receiving an estimate of £3074 for the design stage.

b)    Cllrs. repeated request to ESCC for warning signs of pedestrians in road along Birling Gap road.

c)     Contractor has been found to clear undergrowth from Downsview Lane.

d)    “No Parking on Pavement” signs to be installed opposite Downlands Way shops.

Annual Audit 2019

Internal auditor has passed the accounts with no concerns. Recommended to keep formal records of play area inspections. Accounts now go to external auditor.

Admin Assistant

a)     Post to be re-advertised following resignation. Closing date of 15th July.

b)    Temporary contract for service of NPSG admin. work agreed.

Downlands Way Improvements

Cllrs. approved outline plans to tidy up and improve the shopping precinct parking area.

Cost to be shared with shops and RA.

 

Council Grant Scheme

Grants were awarded to the Bowls Club, Community Watch and Hedgehog Street. Also, donations would be made to the PCC for the churchyards, to the Parish Magazine and to the charity of the year (JPK Project).

Tree Warden Report

Proposal for digital mapping of local land resources passed to NPSG for consideration.

Other points raised were Micheldene Road tree safety, ash dieback and Greensward trees damage by grass strimming.

Urgent Business

Vandalism on footpath 24 has severely damaged sign and squeeze gate. Offers received to pay towards repair of latter.

Councillor Reports

a)   County Councillor

Cllr. Shing reported ESCC cuts to meals on wheels subsidy, and targeting of disabled adults support. Also delay to Exceat bridge rebuild and opposition to Seven Sisters park transfer.

b)   Chair of Council

Organizers of a cycle race on 27/28th July have advised that parking in Gilberts Drive may be restricted.

c)    Bank Account – the end of month balance was £76298.10.

d)   Fund Raising

Application made to Big Lottery Fund for grant towards moving cricket pitch.

e)    Rights of Way

Letters sent to properties next to Footpath 8 asking them to cut hedges.

f)     Recreation Ground

Quotes for replacing play area fence being obtained. Warning signs now being deployed during cricket matches.

Next Meetings 

Parish Council meeting; 4th July

Planning Committee: 16th July